AV Preeminent
Best Law Firms
Best Lawyers
Super Lawyers

Premises Liability FAQs

Attorneys Helping Injured Victims Throughout New Hampshire

In New Hampshire, the law imposes a duty on property owners to maintain their property in a reasonably safe condition. Unfortunately, property owners frequently fail to uphold their responsibilities, and unsafe conditions may arise as a result. If you have suffered injuries due to an accident on someone else’s property, it is essential to retain a New Hampshire premises liability lawyer to assist you in your pursuit of compensation. At Peter Thompson & Associates, we have more than six decades of combined experience helping injured people seek compensation in premises liability claims. We are ready to answer your questions, and below we offer some answers to common questions in this area of the law.

What is a Premises Liability Claim?

A premises liability claim is a claim or lawsuit arising out of injuries caused by a harmful condition on someone else's property. Most often, premises liability claims involve slip and fall accidents that are caused by icy or wet conditions or debris. Premises liability claims include claims arising out of injuries inside buildings or in outdoor areas of a property, such as sidewalks and parking lots.

Back to Top

Who is Responsible for My Injuries if I am hurt on Someone Else’s Property?

In New Hampshire, anyone who owns or occupies land must exercise reasonable care in the maintenance and operation of the property. If a property owner or occupier knows or should know of a dangerous condition that is present on the property but fails to remedy the condition or warn others about the condition, they may be held liable for any harm caused by the condition. Additionally, a property owner cannot avoid liability for a failure to adequately maintain a property by arguing that the duty was delegated to an independent contractor. Instead, the owner or occupier may be held liable for the independent contractor’s negligence.

Back to Top

What Kind of Evidence do I Need to Prove Liability?

Any direct evidence showing that the property owner or occupier knew of the dangers present on the property is helpful to establish liability. Typically, however, to prove that a property owner knew or should have known of a dangerous condition, you will need to rely on circumstantial evidence. For example, evidence of how long the dangerous condition was present can be helpful to establish that a property owner or occupier should have known of the condition. In some cases, surveillance footage may be available to help you prove your claim. Eyewitness testimony can also help show that the condition was present for a sufficient amount of time to allow the property owner or occupier to gain knowledge of the condition.

Back to Top

Does the Reason Why I was on the Property Affect My Claim?

People who enter property owned by another person or entity are classified into three categories: trespassers, who are individuals not legally permitted to enter the property; licensees, who are permitted to enter the property by the owner or occupier; and invitees, who are there by the invitation of the property owner. In New Hampshire, property owners and occupiers owe a duty of care to anyone who enters their property. Thus, if you are injured on another party’s property, you may be able to recover damages regardless of why you were on the property.

Back to Top

How Much is My Premises Liability Case Worth?

Each victim’s circumstances are unique, and each premises liability claim is different. However, a victim will be able to recover compensatory damages that are meant to put them in the position in which they would be had the accident not occurred, to the extent possible. One of the most common types of damages involves past, present, and future medical expenses. A victim also can recover damages for their lost income if they missed time at work, and permanent disabilities resulting from a slip and fall may allow them to recover damages for lost earning capacity. They can recover damages for any out-of-pocket costs that they incurred because of their injuries, such as home modifications or assistance with housekeeping. Pain and suffering damages are also available in a premises liability claim, and it is important to retain an attorney who can help prove the full extent of these relatively subjective damages.

Back to Top

What if My Loved One Died in an Accident on Someone Else’s Property?

If you lost a loved one in a tragically fatal accident on someone else’s property, you can file a wrongful death claim against the owner or occupier of the property if they were at fault for causing your loved one’s death. A family can bring a wrongful death claim if the victim could have brought a personal injury claim if they had survived. Some of the damages in these claims cover the victim’s medical costs, as well as their funeral and burial expenses. Other damages compensate the victim’s family members for the loss of their relationship with the victim.

Back to Top

Meet With a Knowledgeable New Hampshire Attorney

If you sustained harm in an accident that occurred on someone else’s property, it is crucial to contact a knowledgeable premises liability attorney to discuss the circumstances surrounding your injuries. At Peter Thompson & Associates, our diligent representation has enabled us to establish a record of favorable outcomes. We assist victims injured in accidents throughout New Hampshire. We can be reached at 800.804.2004 or through the online form.