AV Preeminent
Best Law Firms
Best Lawyers
Super Lawyers

How to Get a New Hampshire Accident Report

June 7, 2023

When an accident happens on the road, a responding police officer will typically write an accident report. Usually, officers will record details from the accident, including their impressions of the scene. In addition, they often will interview witnesses and record notes from their interviews in the report. The report may also express officers’ opinions on the accident, including the party they believe was at fault. If you suffer injuries in a New Hampshire car accident, it is vital to request a copy of the resulting accident report.

Why Should You Request an Accident Report?

Should you choose to pursue a negligence lawsuit against the driver responsible for your injuries, the accident report will serve as vital evidence to support your claim. For example, an officer may conclude the party you are suing was at fault for the accident. In other cases, the report could rule out a defendant’s alternative explanation for an accident that would otherwise deflect blame. For instance, a defendant may claim that you hit the back of their vehicle first, but an officer may conclude that the accident occurred when the defendant backed up too far and hit your car. As a result, accident reports can serve as powerful evidence that the party you are suing is responsible for your injuries or that you are less at fault in comparison.

In addition to strengthening your legal claim, an accident report can assist you in seeking insurance coverage for damage to your vehicle. When you file a claim with your insurance company, the accident report can help the insurance adjusters investigate the cause of the crash. Additionally, if the officer concludes that you were not at fault for the accident, the accident report can bolster your claim for coverage. If insurance adjusters have an objective document absolving you of fault, they may have a tougher time justifying a total coverage denial.

How Can You Request an Accident Report in New Hampshire?

To request a copy of an accident report, you can file a Request for Motor Vehicle Records (DSMV 505) to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You must submit this form using the drop box in Concord, New Hampshire. You can also mail in your request to the DMV. Accident reports costs $1 per page with a $5 minimum. To predetermine the cost, you can email NH.DMVHelp@dos.nh.gov or call (603) 227-4010. Otherwise, you can mail a check for $5 with your request, and the DMV will contact you if the cost exceeds that amount. If you are seeking another person’s accident report or wish to release a copy of an accident report involving your vehicle to another party, you can email NH.DMVHelp@dos.nh.gov or call (603) 227-4010 for assistance.

Do You Need a New Hampshire Car Accident Attorney?

If you or a loved one has been injured in a New Hampshire car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your loss. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Peter Thompson & Associates proudly represent accident victims throughout the state of New Hampshire. If you have suffered injuries from an accident, contact us today and see how we can help. For a free initial consultation with a member of our team, call office at 800-804-2004 or use our website.